Beyond Rome – Castelli Romani: Wine, Food, Villas
One of the best kept secrets of Rome is just a short drive away and is where you can really have a day to enjoy the Italian lifestyle which encompasses Food, wine, Views, piazzas, Villas, lakes, countryside and the local Villages.
Castelli Romani is a series of Villages that date back older than Rome and lie on the vineyard and olive tree covered hills that overlook Rome. Each town has its own special food or wine it produces and it is here that ancient Roman Emperors and Popes have been coming to build their Villas to escape the hustle and bustle of Rome.
Even today this is where Romans come to enjoy the best of Wine, food and relaxation.
We pick you up directly from your cruise ship and bring you in our private luxury car to Castel Gandolfo, the summer residence village of the Pope and overlooks the picturesque crater lake of Albano. This quaint village is the perfect place to have a coffee in the piazza and hear the stories of Bernini’s little church built for the Pope in the main square. Fancy a swim in the beautiful fresh water lake?
Our driver and guide take you onwards to another village Nemi that clings to the cliffs of another lake which is famous for year-round strawberries and the once home to the Roman Emperor Caligula’s Floating palaces of which there is still remains. Nemi is such beautiful place to visit with its streets lined with coffee shops, salami & proscuitto makers, sweets and cakes and much more all made from strawberries.
Last stop along the way is the most famous town of all Castelli Romani, Frascati, where the central 17th Century Renaissance Villa built by the Papal Family of Aldrobrandini, is the centre piece of the town. Its commanding views of Rome below are only part of the beauty this town holds. The cobbled streets with its fruit markets, the Porchetta, the tailor & shoe maker to the ancient wood burning bread ovens. Frascati is mostly known for its white wine and you can still see where they bring the grapes up each year to make the wine.Why not try it?
Here is also the best food in Rome area and we take you to one of our favourites for a typcial local Italian meal with wine. If you think you have tasted all that Rome has to offer, then you would be wrong , as this is truly something special.
This day is one you will remember forever as one where you truly get a sense of what living and life in Italy is all about.
Get out of Rome and Experience the Italian lifestyle.
IN A NUTSHELL: Private Transfers/Driver + Guide
WHO WANTS IT: You been to Rome before? “ there’s so much more”
DURATION: Full day
PACE: Easy Relaxing– “ now you’re an Italian”
LUNCH: Included & Wine
START TIME: When you decide! “We suggest as early as you can on arrival to port”
MEETING POINT: Directly as you disembark off your Cruise ship.
- Luxury private transfers directly from your Cruise ship to/from all the areas we go to.
- Private Tour guide just for you through all locations!
- Castelli Romani is the historically older than Rome and is the gem of the region. It is home to villas of the Ancient Roman Emperors and Popes who have been coming to escape the summer heat of Rome and to enjoy the region’s best food and wine.
- Village of Castel Gandolfo – The summer residence of the Pope.
- Lake Albano – one of the most picturesque lakes in Italy.
- Village of Nemi – perched on the cliffs of a crater lake and famous producer of year-round strawberries.
- Town of Frascati – the largest Producer of Wine in the Rome Region and home to amazing Renaissance Villas.
- Lunch and Wine tasting is included with views overlooking the whole of Rome and surrounding region.
- We take you to our favourite places and explain the food, gelato, coffee & wine bars, local dishes all unique to this amazing area. (should you wish to experience the tastes then these are at your own cost)
FLEXIBILITY: This is your day so It’s all about you and we can adapt to your interests within reason. If you wish to visit different museum or sights instead of those listed, please send us a request.
Want to visit a Vineyard and have the wine maker do some tasting for you in the vineyards? Email us for more details.
This is a day where you get to really go beyond where the other tourists go and experience a world beyond the Colosseum and tourists.
Every day, except 25th December.
Things to Bring & Note
Walking is a part of this trip, so please bring comfortable shoes even though we have full transfers between towns.
Terms and Conditions
1. Maximum of 7 people in your group of family and friends. ( For groups over 7, it is available but please send an enquiry)
2. Minimum participates 1 but at cost of 2pax.
3. Included entrance to Museums and places of interest subject to opening times/days and availability of tickets.
4. Weka Travel reserves the right to revise or cancel any part of the tour due to acts of God, traffic delays, or last minute closures.
See terms and conditions for details on closures of museums, cancellations, changes to itinerary and other information.
There is a maximum of 7 people on this tour
Tour Photo Gallery
Our Cruise Shore Excursions in Rome
"Experience Rome like a local" The Secret to Rome is not trying to do everything but soaking up the atmosphere. Colosseum or Vatican Museum, Renaissance centre Rome sightseeing with an Al fresco picnic or restaurant with all the food n wine local to Rome. Full Day
Been to Rome before? We take you to the best kept secrets of outside Rome and holds the gems that most tourists never get to see. Castelli Romani is where you can truly experience what Italy is all about. Food, wine, picturesque lakes and villages. FULL DAY
When you feel you have to see it all, then the Colosseum and Vatican Museum are a must. Using our private transfers and Guides we avoid the crowds to make sure your dream comes true as well as giving you an experience of Rome and its Beauty. FULL DAY
If you require a private tour and transfers for a completely different tour around Rome, Outside Rome or near to Port Civitavecchia, we can create something special just for you. Please contact us for a quote: